Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gung Hey Fat Choy!

Why is 'Gung Hey Fat Choy' the first thing that comes to mind when people mention Chinese New Year? Is it directly linked to why the Chinese community is so obsessed with money? 'Gung Hey Fat Choy' does not mean 'Happy New Year' but actually directly translates to 'May You Have Great Fortune'. Weird.

Wow, I can't remember when was the last time I went to see the Lion Dance Parade in Chinatown! Chinese New Year used to be such an exciting time. It meant lots of lucky red envelopes (filled with spending money for the year) and eating tons of deep fried foods you don't usually get to eat. Then of course there was the Dragon & Lion Dances in the Parade in Chinatown. Now, I'm not too sure I actually looked forward to this part...but I went anyways. Truth is, I was always a little afraid of the lively Lion costumes. They had such life & power in their eyes! But since my dad thought I enjoyed it very much, I played along.

This has all been long forgotten...but it all came back to me today as I ventured into the streets of Chinatown. Surprisingly, I had a very enjoyable time. (Despite having to stand on my tiptoes most of the time to just look between the cracks of people's heads. And for some odd reason, 6'++ people still felt they needed to stand on their tiptoes to see too?)

Thanks to IT for bringing back the young Lychee.

Happy Chinese New Year! Sum Serng See Sing!

No comments: